Pen and Paint by Owen Parish.

Huh?

You're sure you heard something downstairs. You'd better investigate that. You concentrate, and bring light into the room.

Pen and Paint
An Interactive Scribbling, copyright (c) 2010 by Owen Parish
Release 1 / Serial number 100930 / Inform 7 build 6E72 (I6/v6.31 lib 6/12N)

Bedroom
You've had this place redecorated a few times. Eleanor has been good enough to keep the paints downstairs, which has prevented any inadvertant graffiti. Although she sometimes threatens to paint in bed when you've been annoying her, and that sends shivers down your spine. At present, the ceiling is awash with silver stars against a blue sky, while the bed and dresser are coloured purple and gold for contrast. The carpet is a pleasant green. Since the last change Eleanor keeps complaining about headaches in a pointed fashion, and you're on the point of caving and having it changed to something more pedestrian. But it'd be a shame, you spent days working it all out.

An exit to the south leads out to the landing.

On the dresser is a seashell.

Eleanor is sound asleep.

> x eleanor
Your wife, and your colleague in matters of creative endeavour.

You can hear sounds from below.

> x me
You haven't got dressed properly, and you don't intend to do so until you've dealt with matters correctly. In fact, after that, you'll probably be tired enough to go back to bed.

> x seashell
This used to hold sea sounds, but you changed it to birdsong. It wasn't easy.

> listen to seashell
You can hear the song of many birds, blending together into something harmonious.

> get it
Taken.

> x ceiling
Not all the stars are the same, that would be an unpleasantly uniform.

Eleanor twitches.

> x bed
It's very comfortable. You have considering that death by drowning in it might be the best way to go out. Fortunately, you have someone to pull out every day, and that responsibility keeps you active.

Eleanor raises herself from the bed.

> x dresser
The dresser is covered in junk. You take a quick glance at yourself in the mirror.

> eleanor, hello
There is no reply.

Eleanor wanders around the room, collecting clothes.

> search junk
You find nothing of interest.

Eleanor starts to get dressed.

> talk to eleanor
"Wait a minute, let me wake up."

> i
You are carrying:
a seashell

> x carpet
It's a deeper colour than grass, so that you're not reminded of the outdoors.

> s

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

I like this description.

> x diagram
It's a depiction of the sphere arrangement outside. What with their continuous movement, it's difficult to keep track of their relative positions, but these lines make it easy to understand their motions.

Perhaps you should have some windows installed. That way you could look outside and see the spheres and the diagram at the same time. Nowadays, you rarely go outside and the diagram is a little redundant. You'd still like to keep it here though, if you ever DO need to go outside, having a better grasp of the way the spheres move will probably help you avoid the loss of a hat.

> x leaves
These leaves are red, brown and green, differently textured, arranged in a fan, held against a wooden board, inside a frame. At some point you'll need to find a pane of glass to cover them.

Eleanor enters from the north.

> talk to eleanor
"Wait a minute, let me wake up."

Eleanor heads down the stairs.

> d

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is awake, and looks mildly irritated.

The paintings look wrong somehow. You can't put your finger on it, but some sort of discontinuity is irritating you. But as you hesitate, the feeling grows until everything seems unfamilar and menacing.

For a moment, you panic, and you shift in the direction of the art cupboard, intending to obliterate the images by means of paint throwing. But the thought of how Eleanor would react to that makes you quail, and you regain your wits. No matter how subtly terrible you feel, you've got to keep your head, and write this problem out of your life.

Eleanor looks around.

> x paintings
There are many pictures, but four in particular draw your eye. One depicts a dark mine, one a forest, one a pyramid and one islands in the sky. You could examine each in more detail.

Eleanor looks around more quickly, with an aghast expression.

"My paintings have been INFECTED! What's going on? We've got to do something!"

> talk to eleanor
"Wait a minute, let me wake up."

Eleanor moves over to the art cupboard and starts pulling things out.

"Okay, I can see a way to fix this. Take a look at a picture to get attuned, then use your pen to write your words in the books. I don't care if it's hard, just get them down. Enter the story, and find whatever madness he's wrought."

> u

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> w

Bathroom
The daemons keep this room nice and clean. You have to pay them for the service of course, but it's definitely worth it. As you might expect, there's a toilet, a sink and a bath. You considered getting a shower, but that seems a bit too modern for the general theme you've established. Oh yes, there's also a mechanical musician in the corner.

The exit is to the east.

> x musician
It's here to accompany you when you sing in the bathtub.

The musician peers at you, awaiting instructions.

> turn on musician
He's not something you can switch.

> musician, hello
There is no reply.

Bug.

> talk to musician
> hello
That's not a verb I recognise.

> e

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> e

Study
You've taken to avoiding this room recently. Your desk has started to seem menacing. Aside from that, you've got a chair, and a shelf which you use to keep work-related items.

The exit is to the west.

On the work desk are a quill pen and a notepad.

On the metal shelf are a jar of silence (empty) and an executive toy.

> x pen
Comes with unlimited inexplicable ink! Just drips right out!

> get pen
Taken.

> get pad
Taken.

> x pad
Currently, it's blank.

> x jar
This was cheaper than sound-proofing. You just have to open it up, and noise pollution is a thing of the past.

> get jar
Taken.

> x toy
It consists of a series of metal spheres, hanging from cords, attached to a metal frame. You can play with it if you want.

> play with it
You lift one sphere, and release it to strike another; a series of symmetrical movements results, accompanying by "ting" noises.

> get toy
Taken.

> w

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> d

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is painting something.

"Trap it all on paper. I think I can feel some form of... rhythm "

> talk to eleanor
"Shh, painting."

"While you're doing that, I'll fix up a little trap for the culprit. He can't have had any idea who he was dealing with."

> w

Dining Room
With some difficulty, you managed to acquire a table that was precisely the correct size. Eleanor and you can quite comfortably talk across it between mouthfuls. You've filled the walls with portraits of various dignitaries in preparation for receiving guests. Under which circumstances you'll have to bring up the other table currently residing in the cellar.

Exits lead west and east.

> x portraits
The third Earl of Tippareth, the Marquis of the Fey, and others who lack the same significance.

> x earl
You can't see any such thing.

> w

Kitchen
You don't come in here often. The daemons don't like you interrupting.

There's a work surface crowded with strange implements, stains and crumbs, plus a couple of unidentifiable machines.

An exit leads east, and stairs lead down into the cellar. Plus, there's the tradesman entrance to the west.

You can see a work surface (on which is a battery) here.

> get battry
[battry -> battery]
You feel a thrill of power.

> x machines
You don't know what they do, but it's presumably something to do with food. You'd rather not touch them out of fear of explosions.

> w
No, it's dark, and it's too far to walk anywhere.

> d

Cellar
It's fairly dark down here, but you can still see the table looming in the shadows.

> x table
This monstrosity was here when you moved in. It's much too big, but still potentially useful, hence its presence here.

> get it
That's hardly portable.

> look under it
You find nothing of interest.

> e
You can't go that way.

> u

Kitchen
You don't come in here often. The daemons don't like you interrupting.

There's a work surface crowded with strange implements, stains and crumbs, plus a couple of unidentifiable machines.

An exit leads east, and stairs lead down into the cellar. Plus, there's the tradesman entrance to the west.

You can see a work surface here.

> x surface
It's rather grubby, but they're not required to keep it pristine.

> e

Dining Room
With some difficulty, you managed to acquire a table that was precisely the correct size. Eleanor and you can quite comfortably talk across it between mouthfuls. You've filled the walls with portraits of various dignitaries in preparation for receiving guests. Under which circumstances you'll have to bring up the other table currently residing in the cellar.

Exits lead west and east.

> e

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> talk to eleanor
She looks fairly tired, and you'd rather not disturb her.

> e

Library
You imagined that you could display your own work here, but that hasn't quite worked out. As is, there's a collection of your inspirations, to which you frequently return.

The volumes are arranged on the shelves in no particular order. You have considered establishing some sort of system, but by now, you remember where they all are anyway.

An exit leads west.

On the wooden shelves are a fungus bowl and a sphere of grave dust.

> x volumes
These books are very important to you. You've had the pleasure of meeting some of their authors over the years, and you hope that one day you will have met them all.

> read books
These books are very important to you. You've had the pleasure of meeting some of their authors over the years, and you hope that one day you will have met them all.

> get bowl
No, you don't want to disturb it.

> get it
No, you don't want to disturb it.

> x it
You're observing its rate of growth. It grows underground, but it seems to be thriving quite well in the bowl of "material" you've provided. Indeed, it's quite pungent.

> x dust
This glass sphere contains specks of grave dust floating in a clear liquid. You needed some way to hold the stuff, and you remembered those snow-globes. While it's a little macabre, it's unique as well.

> w

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> save
Ok.

> x books
Each pedestal holds a book. Each book is positioned underneath the related picture.

> x mine
Which do you mean, the dark mine picture or the goblin book?

> dark
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

> x pedestal
[pedestal -> pedestals]
Each pedestal holds a book. Each book is positioned underneath the related picture.

> x books
Each pedestal holds a book. Each book is positioned underneath the related picture.

> x mine book
Your story about an elven spelunker. Exploring a goblin mine.

> read mine book
Your story about an elven spelunker. Exploring a goblin mine.

> x picture
Which do you mean, the sphere picture, the dark mine picture, the forest picture, the pyramid picture or the sky islands picture?

> sphere
It doesn't look completely finished, but you can quite clearly see what it's meant to depict; A golden, translucent sphere, surrounded by darkness.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> x forest
Which do you mean, the forest picture or the forest book?

> picture
The forest's colour is inconsistent; In some places it's verdant green, but in others it fades into grey. You're not sure you understand why.

The sky is filled with birds. This seems significant, as does the border of leaves against the frame.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> x pyramid
Which do you mean, the pyramid picture or the pyramid book?

> picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> x sky islands
Which do you mean, the sky islands picture or the sky book?

> x sky islands picture
A series of islands inexplicably float in the sky. The land below is not visible. You didn't notice it the first time you looked at this picture, but there's a large shadow being cast upon one of the floating rocks. It seems that there's something BIG up higher.

You notice flowers growing on the undersides of the rocks, and electricity crackling through the skies above.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> x sky book
Your story about a sky jumper, living above the clouds.

> x pyramid book
Your story about a sorceror sealed into a pyramid.

> x forest book
Your story about a dwarven botanist. Exploring a forest.

> x sphere book
I only understood you as far as wanting to examine the sphere picture.

> l
Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> x cupboard
Eleanor has forbidden you to go near it.

> x futon
Eleanor generally collapses onto it after finishing a painting session. It's a pleasant cherry red colour.

> write in notepad
You'll need a new picture from Eleanor first.

> x sphere picture
It doesn't look completely finished, but you can quite clearly see what it's meant to depict; A golden, translucent sphere, surrounded by darkness.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> ask eleanor about picture
You must supply a noun.

> ask eleanor about sphere picture
You must supply a noun.

> ask eleanor
What do you want to ask Eleanor for?

> picture
Which do you mean, the sphere picture, the dark mine picture, the forest picture, the pyramid picture or the sky islands picture?

> sphere
(Eleanor first taking the sphere picture)
Eleanor has better things to do.

> get mine book
You normally work in the study, but right now you'll need the pictures for inspiration. You can write standing up.

> write in mine book
You don't really feel inspired enough.

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> i
You are carrying:
a battery
an executive toy
a jar of silence
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> x forest picture
The forest's colour is inconsistent; In some places it's verdant green, but in others it fades into grey. You're not sure you understand why.

The sky is filled with birds. This seems significant, as does the border of leaves against the frame.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> listen to seashell
You can hear the song of many birds, blending together into something harmonious.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

> u

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> get leaves
They're hardly portable.

> get frame
(the executive toy)
You already have that.

> get pressed leaves
They're hardly portable.

> smell leaves
You smell nothing unexpected.

> x pressed leaves
These leaves are red, brown and green, differently textured, arranged in a fan, held against a wooden board, inside a frame. At some point you'll need to find a pane of glass to cover them.

> d

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> x forest picture
The forest's colour is inconsistent; In some places it's verdant green, but in others it fades into grey. You're not sure you understand why.

The sky is filled with birds. This seems significant, as does the border of leaves against the frame.

> listen to seashell
You can hear the song of many birds, blending together into something harmonious.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

You feel words swelling in your mind.

> g
You can hear the song of many birds, blending together into something harmonious.

> g
You can hear the song of many birds, blending together into something harmonious.

> write in notepad
You'll need a new picture from Eleanor first.

> touch forest picture
You feel nothing unexpected.

> enter forest picture
That's not something you can enter.

> get forest picture
That's hardly portable.

> x it
The forest's colour is inconsistent; In some places it's verdant green, but in others it fades into grey. You're not sure you understand why.

The sky is filled with birds. This seems significant, as does the border of leaves against the frame.

> tell eleanor about forest picture
You must supply a noun.

> talk to eleanor
She looks fairly tired, and you'd rather not disturb her.

> help
To move around, use the commands GO NORTH, GO EAST, GO WEST, GO SOUTH, GO UP and GO DOWN, or simply N, E, W, S, U and D. To view your inventory use the command INVENTORY, or simply I. To perform an action, use a verb, such as JUMP. To perform an action with an object, use a verb, the object and the appropriate prepositions. Examples: TAKE FISH. OPEN BOX. TURN ON TV. SCREAM AT SHADOWS. WAVE AT PRINCE OF WALES. VANDALISE ARTWORK. READ NECRONOMICON. Note that you can abbreviate the object names slightly, but the adjectives are used to make distinctions between objects with similar names. To perform an action involving direct and indirect objects, both objects are required in the appropriate order with a preposition linking them. Examples: GIVE BOX TO MAN. THROW STONE AT PLATE. EAT SPAGHETTI WITH FORK. CUT RUG WITH SWORD. BEHEAD TRAITOR WITH RAZOR-SHARP POSTCARD. BURN TAPESTRY WITH BLOWTORCH. Another useful command is UNDO, which will move the game back one turn, like a pre-release time warp device. The OOPS command has a similar effect, replacing an incorrect word in a previous command with the word following it. Examples: PICK UP KINFE. OOPS KNIFE. FIRE BAZOKA. OOPS BAZOOKA. QUIT allows to to leave the game, SAVE and RESTORE can be used to save and restore games, and RESTART will allow you to start over.

Thanks to Graham Nelson (and others) for Inform 7.

Thanks to Conrad Cook, Jeff Pankratz and Leandro Ribeiro for testing.

Please send any feedback to doubleprism@hotmail.com. This game may be freely distributed, but not sold or otherwise used for profit without the written permission of the author.

> l
Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> open cupboard
Eleanor has forbidden you to go near it.

> get forest book
You normally work in the study, but right now you'll need the pictures for inspiration. You can write standing up.

> i
You are carrying:
a battery
an executive toy
a jar of silence
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> i
You are carrying:
a battery
an executive toy
a jar of silence
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> l
Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> s
You'd rather not. It's a bit of an effort to get the doors open, and it's too dark to walk anywhere.

> i
You are carrying:
a battery
an executive toy
a jar of silence
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> e

Library
You imagined that you could display your own work here, but that hasn't quite worked out. As is, there's a collection of your inspirations, to which you frequently return.

The volumes are arranged on the shelves in no particular order. You have considered establishing some sort of system, but by now, you remember where they all are anyway.

An exit leads west.

On the wooden shelves are a fungus bowl and a sphere of grave dust.

> get sphere
Taken.

> w

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> shake sphere
(the sphere of grave dust)
The grey specks of material form a storm inside the sphere. After a few moments, they settle down again.

> x pyramid picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> shake sphere
(the sphere of grave dust)
The grey specks of material form a storm inside the sphere. After a few moments, they settle down again.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

> x pyramid picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

> x mine
Which do you mean, the dark mine picture or the goblin book?

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> i
You are carrying:
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a jar of silence
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> e

Library
You imagined that you could display your own work here, but that hasn't quite worked out. As is, there's a collection of your inspirations, to which you frequently return.

The volumes are arranged on the shelves in no particular order. You have considered establishing some sort of system, but by now, you remember where they all are anyway.

An exit leads west.

On the wooden shelves is a fungus bowl.

> x bowl
You're observing its rate of growth. It grows underground, but it seems to be thriving quite well in the bowl of "material" you've provided. Indeed, it's quite pungent.

> get bowl
No, you don't want to disturb it.

> smell it
You inhale the fumes. Careful now. It's almost overpowering.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

> w

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

> e

Library
You imagined that you could display your own work here, but that hasn't quite worked out. As is, there's a collection of your inspirations, to which you frequently return.

The volumes are arranged on the shelves in no particular order. You have considered establishing some sort of system, but by now, you remember where they all are anyway.

An exit leads west.

On the wooden shelves is a fungus bowl.

> e
You can't go that way.

> smell it
You smell nothing unexpected.

> smell bowl
You inhale the fumes. Careful now. It's almost overpowering.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

You feel words swelling in your mind.

> w

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> w

Dining Room
With some difficulty, you managed to acquire a table that was precisely the correct size. Eleanor and you can quite comfortably talk across it between mouthfuls. You've filled the walls with portraits of various dignitaries in preparation for receiving guests. Under which circumstances you'll have to bring up the other table currently residing in the cellar.

Exits lead west and east.

> e

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

> e

Library
You imagined that you could display your own work here, but that hasn't quite worked out. As is, there's a collection of your inspirations, to which you frequently return.

The volumes are arranged on the shelves in no particular order. You have considered establishing some sort of system, but by now, you remember where they all are anyway.

An exit leads west.

On the wooden shelves is a fungus bowl.

> smell bowl
You inhale the fumes. Careful now. It's almost overpowering.

> w

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> x sky picture
A series of islands inexplicably float in the sky. The land below is not visible. You didn't notice it the first time you looked at this picture, but there's a large shadow being cast upon one of the floating rocks. It seems that there's something BIG up higher.

You notice flowers growing on the undersides of the rocks, and electricity crackling through the skies above.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> x battery
A black cube. You can feel that it's vibrating with energy. There's a little lightning symbol on one side.

> x symbol
You can't see any such thing.

> touch battery
You feel nothing unexpected.

> lick battery
You're not doing that, although one of your protagionists might consider it.

> shake battery
Nothing happens.

> x flowers
You can't see any such thing.

> x shadow
A series of islands inexplicably float in the sky. The land below is not visible. You didn't notice it the first time you looked at this picture, but there's a large shadow being cast upon one of the floating rocks. It seems that there's something BIG up higher.

You notice flowers growing on the undersides of the rocks, and electricity crackling through the skies above.

> look up
You see nothing unexpected in that direction.

> put battery in picture
Which do you mean, the sphere picture, the dark mine picture, the forest picture, the pyramid picture or the sky islands picture?

> sky
That can't contain things.

> smell battery
You smell nothing unexpected.

> listen to battery
You hear nothing unexpected.

> listen to sky picture
You hear nothing unexpected.

> i
You are carrying:
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a jar of silence
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> x toy
It consists of a series of metal spheres, hanging from cords, attached to a metal frame. You can play with it if you want.

> x sphere picture
It doesn't look completely finished, but you can quite clearly see what it's meant to depict; A golden, translucent sphere, surrounded by darkness.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> play with toy
You lift one sphere, and release it to strike another; a series of symmetrical movements results, accompanying by "ting" noises.

> play with toy
You lift one sphere, and release it to strike another; a series of symmetrical movements results, accompanying by "ting" noises.

> l
Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> i
You are carrying:
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a jar of silence
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> x forest picture
The forest's colour is inconsistent; In some places it's verdant green, but in others it fades into grey. You're not sure you understand why.

The sky is filled with birds. This seems significant, as does the border of leaves against the frame.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> x sky picture
A series of islands inexplicably float in the sky. The land below is not visible. You didn't notice it the first time you looked at this picture, but there's a large shadow being cast upon one of the floating rocks. It seems that there's something BIG up higher.

You notice flowers growing on the undersides of the rocks, and electricity crackling through the skies above.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> x pyramid picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> shake sphere
(the sphere of grave dust)
The grey specks of material form a storm inside the sphere. After a few moments, they settle down again.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

> write in notepad
You'll need a new picture from Eleanor first.

> read pyramid book
Your story about a sorceror sealed into a pyramid.

> open pyramid
Which do you mean, the pyramid picture or the pyramid book?

> book
That's not something you can open.

> u

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> get frames
They're hardly portable.

> get diagram
That's hardly portable.

> get leaves
They're hardly portable.

> w

Bathroom
The daemons keep this room nice and clean. You have to pay them for the service of course, but it's definitely worth it. As you might expect, there's a toilet, a sink and a bath. You considered getting a shower, but that seems a bit too modern for the general theme you've established. Oh yes, there's also a mechanical musician in the corner.

The exit is to the east.

> look in bath
The bath is empty.

> look in sink
There is nothing on the sink.

> look in toilet
You find nothing of interest.

> get musician
He's a bit too big to carry around with you.

> e

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> e

Study
You've taken to avoiding this room recently. Your desk has started to seem menacing. Aside from that, you've got a chair, and a shelf which you use to keep work-related items.

The exit is to the west.

> open desk
Which do you mean, the work desk or the desk chair?

> work desk
That's not something you can open.

> w

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> x diagram
It's a depiction of the sphere arrangement outside. What with their continuous movement, it's difficult to keep track of their relative positions, but these lines make it easy to understand their motions.

Perhaps you should have some windows installed. That way you could look outside and see the spheres and the diagram at the same time. Nowadays, you rarely go outside and the diagram is a little redundant. You'd still like to keep it here though, if you ever DO need to go outside, having a better grasp of the way the spheres move will probably help you avoid the loss of a hat.

> n

Bedroom
You've had this place redecorated a few times. Eleanor has been good enough to keep the paints downstairs, which has prevented any inadvertant graffiti. Although she sometimes threatens to paint in bed when you've been annoying her, and that sends shivers down your spine. At present, the ceiling is awash with silver stars against a blue sky, while the bed and dresser are coloured purple and gold for contrast. The carpet is a pleasant green. Since the last change Eleanor keeps complaining about headaches in a pointed fashion, and you're on the point of caving and having it changed to something more pedestrian. But it'd be a shame, you spent days working it all out.

An exit to the south leads out to the landing.

> look under bed
You find nothing of interest.

> s

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> d

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> wake eleanor
That seems unnecessary.

> i
You are carrying:
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a jar of silence
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> save
Ok.

> open jar
You open the jar and silence falls.

Silence hangs around you.

> x pyramid picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

Silence hangs around you.

> shake sphere
(the sphere of grave dust)
The grey specks of material form a storm inside the sphere. After a few moments, they settle down again.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

You feel words swelling in your mind.

Silence hangs around you.

> write in notepad
You'll need a new picture from Eleanor first.

Silence hangs around you.

> write
What do you want to write in?

> pyramid book
You start to write, and forget your surroundings...

Let's see, he's been given an unending duty, without any regular tasks. What does he do with his time?

Enchanter Room
This is where you reside. In your mortal life you had it carefully prepared, with a ritual circle to usher you back to the world of men. This was an experimental procedure, but it seems to have worked correctly.

A passageway leads north, towards a joining of passageways.

(Use STOP to stop writing.)

> save
Ok.

> n

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> w

Servant's Chamber
Here, the servants have been placed. Each of them has a task to perform for the king in the underworld. You remember their joy as they were chosen.

An exit leads east.

> x servants
Two of them are deep in the sleep of the dead, but one seems to be half-awake. Each of them is wearing a funeral shroud.

> talk to servant
You try to wake them, but it seems that more extreme measures will be needed.

> get shroud
Even though these are simply servants, you cannot take their shrouds without permission.

> e

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> e

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> s
You make your way around the corner.

South Corridor
The south face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your south

> w
You make your way around the corner.

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> w

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> e

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> w

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> n

King's Chamber
You automatically lower your head in the presence of the king. Inside his sarcophagus, embalmed in the royal fashion, he is your master as never before. Around him sit the treasures that mark his passage.

> x king
You manage to raise your eyes to examine your master more closely.

The king's sarcophagus is richly adorned. You were involved in the design, making sure that the rituals were observed. The king himself is hidden from your sight, inside the casket.

> x treasures
Glittering gold, jewels of many colours, expertly made statuettes, and rare dweezils.

> s

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

You get to the west corridor by going east, which was a little confusing.

> e

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> n
You make your way around the corner.

North Corridor
The north face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your north.

> w
You make your way around the corner.

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> undo
North Corridor
[Previous turn undone.]

> e
You make your way around the corner.

East Corridor
The east face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to the north and south, and an opening to the east.

> e

Entrance Passage
This leads to the exterior.

The passage goes from the west to the east, where you can hear suspicious noises.

> e
You are about to enter when you hear voices. You dart back into safety; Even though you're partly insubstantial, you're still vulnerable to attack.

You listen for a few moments, you hear the crude comments of tomb robbers.

If you still had blood, it would be boiling. This will not be tolerated. Unfortunately, this isn't quite the type of threat you're equipped to deal with. However, criminals are known for their superstition and cowardice.

> w

East Corridor
The east face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to the north and south, and an opening to the east.

> s
You make your way around the corner.

South Corridor
The south face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your south

> s

Embalming Room
The mystic light is weaker here, and there are many shadows. You wonder what went wrong during the rituals.

An exit leads north.

> n

South Corridor
The south face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your south

> x face
You can't see any such thing.

> x south face
I only understood you as far as wanting to examine south.

> e
You make your way around the corner.

East Corridor
The east face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to the north and south, and an opening to the east.

> n
You make your way around the corner.

North Corridor
The north face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your north.

> n

Huh, incomplete.

Grey Room
You can see incomplete .

> get incomplete
You can't see any such thing.

> s

North Corridor
The north face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your north.

> w
You make your way around the corner.

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> w

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> n

King's Chamber
You automatically lower your head in the presence of the king. Inside his sarcophagus, embalmed in the royal fashion, he is your master as never before. Around him sit the treasures that mark his passage.

> get treasures
They're hardly portable.

> x treasures
Glittering gold, jewels of many colours, expertly made statuettes, and rare dweezils.

> x jewels
Glittering gold, jewels of many colours, expertly made statuettes, and rare dweezils.

> get jewels
They're hardly portable.

> x statuettes
Glittering gold, jewels of many colours, expertly made statuettes, and rare dweezils.

> get dweezils
They're hardly portable.

> s

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> e

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> n
You make your way around the corner.

North Corridor
The north face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your north.

> e
You make your way around the corner.

East Corridor
The east face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to the north and south, and an opening to the east.

> e

Entrance Passage
This leads to the exterior.

The passage goes from the west to the east, where you can hear suspicious noises.

> e
You can't enter until you've got a plan ready.

> i
You are carrying:
a sorceror's box
a power rod
some gloves

> x rod
It can be used to smite spirits.

> x glovres
[glovres -> gloves]
You need them for the rituals. They're the same pair that you used in your... life.

> x box
Your ability to carry things was given to you solely so that you could have these tools ready.

In the sorceror's box are a power rod and some gloves.

> wear gloves
(first taking the gloves)
The feeling of them around your hands is comforting.

> get rod
Taken.

What else do you do with a power rod but wave it?

> wave rod
You look ridiculous waving the power rod.

> e
You're the right track, but you need a better costume.

> x me
You have no physical form. You perceive yourself as barely more than a bundle of thoughts.

> s
You can't go that way.

> w

East Corridor
The east face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to the north and south, and an opening to the east.

> s
You make your way around the corner.

South Corridor
The south face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your south

> w
You make your way around the corner.

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> w

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> w

Servant's Chamber
Here, the servants have been placed. Each of them has a task to perform for the king in the underworld. You remember their joy as they were chosen.

An exit leads east.

> talk to servant
You try to wake them, but it seems that more extreme measures will be needed.

> i
You are carrying:
a power rod
some gloves (being worn)
a sorceror's box

> hit servant with rod
I only understood you as far as wanting to hit the servants.

> hit servant
Violence isn't the answer to this one.

> l
Servant's Chamber
Here, the servants have been placed. Each of them has a task to perform for the king in the underworld. You remember their joy as they were chosen.

An exit leads east.

> x servants
Two of them are deep in the sleep of the dead, but one seems to be half-awake. Each of them is wearing a funeral shroud.

> i
You are carrying:
a power rod
some gloves (being worn)
a sorceror's box

> x rod
It can be used to smite spirits.

> smite servant
You apply a mild jolt, and one of them awakes fully.

> talk to servant
You ask the awakened one to borrow his shroud. He indicates that he gives permission. You carefully pull it away from him, and resolve to return it later.

> save
Ok.

> wear shroad
[shroad -> shroud]
(the removed shroud)
You wrap it around yourself.

> e

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> e

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> n
You make your way around the corner.

North Corridor
The north face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your north.

> e
You make your way around the corner.

East Corridor
The east face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to the north and south, and an opening to the east.

> e

Entrance Passage
This leads to the exterior.

The passage goes from the west to the east, where you can hear suspicious noises.

> e
You're the right track, but you need a better costume.

> x me
You have no physical form. You perceive yourself as barely more than a bundle of thoughts.

> i
You are carrying:
a removed shroud (being worn)
a power rod
some gloves (being worn)
a sorceror's box

> w

East Corridor
The east face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to the north and south, and an opening to the east.

> n
You make your way around the corner.

North Corridor
The north face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your north.

> n

Grey Room
You can see incomplete .

> s

North Corridor
The north face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your north.

> w
You make your way around the corner.

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> w

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> n

King's Chamber
You automatically lower your head in the presence of the king. Inside his sarcophagus, embalmed in the royal fashion, he is your master as never before. Around him sit the treasures that mark his passage.

> x king
You manage to raise your eyes to examine your master more closely.

The king's sarcophagus is richly adorned. You were involved in the design, making sure that the rituals were observed. The king himself is hidden from your sight, inside the casket.

This looks like a bug, since the king is supposed to be in there.

> open casket
He's not something you can open.

> look in casket
You find nothing of interest.

> s

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> w

Servant's Chamber
Here, the servants have been placed. Each of them has a task to perform for the king in the underworld. You remember their joy as they were chosen.

An exit leads east.

> e

Joining
About you are four passageways. You sense the majesty of the king to the north, the smallness of the servants to the west, and the outer sanctum to the east.

> e

West Corridor
The west face watches over this corridor.

The joining is to the west, and there are turnings to the north and south.

> s
You make your way around the corner.

South Corridor
The south face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your south

> s

Embalming Room
The mystic light is weaker here, and there are many shadows. You wonder what went wrong during the rituals.

An exit leads north.

> x shadows
You can't see inside them...

> enter shadow
You can't see any such thing.

> touch shadows
You search around, and eventually locate a lost roll of bandages.

> enter shadows
They're not something you can enter.

> get bandages
You already have those.

> wear bandages
You wrap them around your face. (Such as it is.)

> n

South Corridor
The south face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to your east and west, and an opening to your south

> e
You make your way around the corner.

East Corridor
The east face watches over this corridor.

There are turnings to the north and south, and an opening to the east.

> e

Entrance Passage
This leads to the exterior.

The passage goes from the west to the east, where you can hear suspicious noises.

> e
You enter. There is some screaming, and the room empties.

Antechamber
An entry room. Now that the thieves have fled, the only thing remaining is a strange machine that they brought with them. Sadly, they've made off with some minor treasures, but at least the peace has been restored.

A passage continues east.

Grears?

> x machine
A bizarre contraption, a mass of grears and cables. There are a couple of hammers protuding from the front.

This explains how they managed to break in. They haven't bothered turning it off, and the hammers are beating against the floor.

> turn off machine
That's not something you can switch.

> boo
[boo -> book]
That's not a verb I recognise.

> get machine
That's hardly portable.

> e
You can't leave the interior.

> push machinew
[machinew -> machine]
It is fixed in place.

> push machine w
The hammer machine cannot be pushed from place to place.

> i
You are carrying:
some bandages (being worn)
a removed shroud (being worn)
a power rod
some gloves (being worn)
a sorceror's box

> smite machine with rod
I only understood you as far as wanting to smite the hammer machine.

> stop
You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

Silence hangs around you.

> undo
Antechamber
[Previous turn undone.]

> save
Ok.

> stop
You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

Silence hangs around you.

> x pyramid picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

Silence hangs around you.

> x forest picture
The forest's colour is inconsistent; In some places it's verdant green, but in others it fades into grey. You're not sure you understand why.

The sky is filled with birds. This seems significant, as does the border of leaves against the frame.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

Silence hangs around you.

> listen to seashell
You can hear the song of many birds, blending together into something harmonious.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

Silence hangs around you.

> u

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> x leaves
These leaves are red, brown and green, differently textured, arranged in a fan, held against a wooden board, inside a frame. At some point you'll need to find a pane of glass to cover them.

> get leaves
They're hardly portable.

> x leaves
These leaves are red, brown and green, differently textured, arranged in a fan, held against a wooden board, inside a frame. At some point you'll need to find a pane of glass to cover them.

> d

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

Silence hangs around you.

> x forest picture
The forest's colour is inconsistent; In some places it's verdant green, but in others it fades into grey. You're not sure you understand why.

The sky is filled with birds. This seems significant, as does the border of leaves against the frame.

Silence hangs around you.

> listen to seashell
You can hear the song of many birds, blending together into something harmonious.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

You feel words swelling in your mind.

Silence hangs around you.

> write in forest book
You start to write, and forget your surroundings...

What would a botanist think about as he walked through a forest?

Dwarven Tent
Dwarven tents are short and stout. They're also fairly resilient.

The tent's exit is positioned to the south.

> save
Ok.

> s

Forest Clearing
You set up camp here last night, and you do not regret your decision. It's quiet here, and it looks as though you won't have to go far to find some specimens.

You came on a path from the west. The path continues to the east. Your tent is set up to the north.

> e

Amidst the Trees
You're lost. The path has faded away, and there's an awful lack of points of reference. You notice birds flying above you, and feel envious.

You can see some gooseberries here.

> x me
You're wearing walking boots, weather-resistent clothing, and the traditional hat of those who dare to face the sun.

> get gooseberries
You're tempted, but you only have a limited carrying capacity, and you're after rarer specimens. You're only going to grab things that could be useful.

> i
You are carrying:
a trowel

> eat gooseberries
(first taking the gooseberries)
You're tempted, but you only have a limited carrying capacity, and you're after rarer specimens. You're only going to grab things that could be useful.

> dig
That won't work here.

> climb tree
You can't see any such thing.

> x trees
You can't see any such thing.

> x birds
There seem to be a great many different types.

You can understand the language of birds, but you're going to have to concentrate on listening to them if you're going to make anything out.

> listen to birds
"orth!"

> listen to birds
"orth!"

> n
You manage to pick your way through the trees, twisting and turning...

Amidst the Trees
You're lost. The path has faded away, and there's an awful lack of points of reference. You notice birds flying above you, and feel envious.

You can see some bluebells here.

> x bluebells
Are these things meant to make ringing noises? You can't hear anything from them.

> listen to bluebells
"Teast!"

> listen to bluebells
"Teast!"

> get bluebells
You're tempted, but you only have a limited carrying capacity, and you're after rarer specimens. You're only going to grab things that could be useful.

> e
You manage to pick your way through the trees, twisting and turning...

Amidst the Trees
You're lost. The path has faded away, and there's an awful lack of points of reference. You notice birds flying above you, and feel envious.

You can see some daffodils here.

> x daffodiles
[daffodiles -> daffodilse]
They're supposed to be pretty, but you prefer more darkly coloured petals.

> x daffodils
They're supposed to be pretty, but you prefer more darkly coloured petals.

> listen to daffodils
"orth!"

> listen to birds
"orth!"

> n
You manage to pick your way through the trees, twisting and turning...

Amidst the Trees
You're lost. The path has faded away, and there's an awful lack of points of reference. You notice birds flying above you, and feel envious.

You can see some brambles here.

> x brambles
They're thorny, and you're keeping your distance.

> listen to brambles
"Mouth!"

> s
You manage to pick your way through the trees, twisting and turning...

Amidst the Trees
You're lost. The path has faded away, and there's an awful lack of points of reference. You notice birds flying above you, and feel envious.

You can see a wasp nest here.

> listen to wasps
[wasps -> wasp]
"orth!"

> n
You come across some thick bracken. After you force your way through, you find yourself uncertain of your bearings. The sun can't be seen through the branches overhead.

Amidst the Trees
You're lost. The path has faded away, and there's an awful lack of points of reference. You notice birds flying above you, and feel envious.

You can see a thick moss here.

> x moss
You recall that this particular type of moss is notable for growing only on the north sides of trees. Hmm...

> get moss
You're tempted, but you only have a limited carrying capacity, and you're after rarer specimens. You're only going to grab things that could be useful.

> listen to moss
"Mouth!"

> s
You manage to pick your way through the trees, twisting and turning...

By the River
Standing next to the river, you feel relieved to have such a good point of reference to navigate by.

You can head back into the trees to the west, head upriver to the north, or downriver to the south.

You can see a rotten log here.

> x log
It's fairly heavy (but still portable), despite the water-damage. It must have floated downriver from somewhere.

> n

Edge of the Field
Without the plants, the field looks desolate. The only other feature is a rugged-looking tree, with an enormous pile of weird pods lying at its feet.

The river leads back to the south, and the field goes on to the east. You can't go north, the river's sides are bounded by piles of rocks.

> x tree
There are a lot of holes in it, but it looks sturdy. You should be able to climb it.

> x pods
You're familar with these. They contain seeds, which will be released violently when the skin of the pod is ruptured.

> get pod
[pod -> pods]
You pull a pod free, but it immediately bursts open, releasing a mist of fine seeds. This spreads through the sky for a moment, then disperses.
You notice that the plants slowed for a moment...

> listen to pod
[pod -> pods]
You hear nothing unexpected.

> climb tree
You scramble over the pile, and ascend...

Atop the Rugged Tree
You can't see anything new about the situation, although the brightness of the sun becomes more noticable.

Below you, you can see the foot of the tree, surrounded by pods.

> d

Edge of the Field
Without the plants, the field looks desolate. The only other feature is a rugged-looking tree, with an enormous pile of weird pods lying at its feet.

The river leads back to the south, and the field goes on to the east. You can't go north, the river's sides are bounded by piles of rocks.

> get pods
You pull a pod free, but it immediately bursts open, releasing a mist of fine seeds. This spreads through the sky for a moment, then disperses.

> e

Dead Field
You stand amidst the remains of the plants, and feel a strange vibration through your feet.

You can leave the field to the west.

> listen to plants
You can't see any such thing.

> x feet
[feet -> feed]
You can't see any such thing.

> x vibration
You can't see any such thing.

> w

Edge of the Field
Without the plants, the field looks desolate. The only other feature is a rugged-looking tree, with an enormous pile of weird pods lying at its feet.

The river leads back to the south, and the field goes on to the east. You can't go north, the river's sides are bounded by piles of rocks.

> get pod
[pod -> pods]
You pull a pod free, but it immediately bursts open, releasing a mist of fine seeds. This spreads through the sky for a moment, then disperses.

> e

Dead Field
You stand amidst the remains of the plants, and feel a strange vibration through your feet.

You can leave the field to the west.

> w

Edge of the Field
Without the plants, the field looks desolate. The only other feature is a rugged-looking tree, with an enormous pile of weird pods lying at its feet.

The river leads back to the south, and the field goes on to the east. You can't go north, the river's sides are bounded by piles of rocks.

> s

By the River
Standing next to the river, you feel relieved to have such a good point of reference to navigate by.

You can head back into the trees to the west, head upriver to the north, or downriver to the south.

You can see a rotten log here.

> s

Edge of the Fieldand the Grey Tree
The tree is tall and, incomplete .

> x tree
You can't see any such thing.

> n

By the River
Standing next to the river, you feel relieved to have such a good point of reference to navigate by.

You can head back into the trees to the west, head upriver to the north, or downriver to the south.

You can see a rotten log here.

> x log
It's fairly heavy (but still portable), despite the water-damage. It must have floated downriver from somewhere.

> get log
Taken.

> put log in river
That can't contain things.

Boo, no swimming in the river.

> swim
That's not a verb I recognise.

> n

Edge of the Field
Without the plants, the field looks desolate. The only other feature is a rugged-looking tree, with an enormous pile of weird pods lying at its feet.

The river leads back to the south, and the field goes on to the east. You can't go north, the river's sides are bounded by piles of rocks.

> x rocks
They're unscalable.

> x tree
There are a lot of holes in it, but it looks sturdy. You should be able to climb it.

> climb tree
You scramble over the pile, and ascend...

Atop the Rugged Tree
You can't see anything new about the situation, although the brightness of the sun becomes more noticable.

Below you, you can see the foot of the tree, surrounded by pods.

> drop log
The log breaks through the web of branches, and you narrowly avoid falling. It lands on the pile of pods, many of which promptly burst open, releasing a thick cloud of seeds. As it spreads through the air, it casts a shdow over the dancing plants. They slow, stop, and with alarming speed, disintegrate. Well, the balance of nature is a delicate one. Now, what could have made them behave so dangerously?

> d

Edge of the Field
Without the plants, the field looks desolate. The only other feature is a rugged-looking tree, with an enormous pile of weird pods lying at its feet.

The river leads back to the south, and the field goes on to the east. You can't go north, the river's sides are bounded by piles of rocks.

> d
You can't go that way.

> x plants
You can't see any such thing.

> get log
You already have that.

> i
You are carrying:
a rotten log
a trowel

> dig
That won't work here.

> e

Dead Field
You stand amidst the remains of the plants, and feel a strange vibration through your feet.

You can leave the field to the west.

> dig
You unearth a vibrating orb, made of some type of black material. As you hold it in your hands, the vibrations travel up your arms, and you feel as if they are passing into your brain. Got it.

You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

You find yourself in the process of pulling a page from the book.

Silence hangs around you.

> x page
You can't see any such thing.

> x forest book
Your story about a dwarven botanist. Exploring a forest.

Silence hangs around you.

> x forest picture
The forest's colour is inconsistent; In some places it's verdant green, but in others it fades into grey. You're not sure you understand why.

The sky is filled with birds. This seems significant, as does the border of leaves against the frame.

Silence hangs around you.

> pull page from book
You can't see any such thing.

> score
There is no score in this story.

> save
Ok.

> x sky picture
A series of islands inexplicably float in the sky. The land below is not visible. You didn't notice it the first time you looked at this picture, but there's a large shadow being cast upon one of the floating rocks. It seems that there's something BIG up higher.

You notice flowers growing on the undersides of the rocks, and electricity crackling through the skies above.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

Silence hangs around you.

> x battery
A black cube. You can feel that it's vibrating with energy. There's a little lightning symbol on one side.

Silence hangs around you.

> feel battery
You feel nothing unexpected.

Silence hangs around you.

> read sky book
Your story about a sky jumper, living above the clouds.

Silence hangs around you.

> jump
You jump on the spot, fruitlessly.

Silence hangs around you.

> press lightning symbol
You can't see any such thing.

> touch battery
You feel nothing unexpected.

Silence hangs around you.

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

Silence hangs around you.

> w

Dining Room
With some difficulty, you managed to acquire a table that was precisely the correct size. Eleanor and you can quite comfortably talk across it between mouthfuls. You've filled the walls with portraits of various dignitaries in preparation for receiving guests. Under which circumstances you'll have to bring up the other table currently residing in the cellar.

Exits lead west and east.

> d
You can't go that way.

> w

Kitchen
You don't come in here often. The daemons don't like you interrupting.

There's a work surface crowded with strange implements, stains and crumbs, plus a couple of unidentifiable machines.

An exit leads east, and stairs lead down into the cellar. Plus, there's the tradesman entrance to the west.

You can see a work surface here.

> d

Cellar
It's fairly dark down here, but you can still see the table looming in the shadows.

> x table
This monstrosity was here when you moved in. It's much too big, but still potentially useful, hence its presence here.

> e
You can't go that way.

> get under table
You can't see any such thing.

> look under table
You find nothing of interest.

> u

Kitchen
You don't come in here often. The daemons don't like you interrupting.

There's a work surface crowded with strange implements, stains and crumbs, plus a couple of unidentifiable machines.

An exit leads east, and stairs lead down into the cellar. Plus, there's the tradesman entrance to the west.

You can see a work surface here.

> e

Dining Room
With some difficulty, you managed to acquire a table that was precisely the correct size. Eleanor and you can quite comfortably talk across it between mouthfuls. You've filled the walls with portraits of various dignitaries in preparation for receiving guests. Under which circumstances you'll have to bring up the other table currently residing in the cellar.

Exits lead west and east.

> e

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

Silence hangs around you.

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

Silence hangs around you.

> i
You are carrying:
a sheet of music
an empty jar
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

Silence hangs around you.

> x sheet of music
You don't know enough about music to understand how it would sound.

Silence hangs around you.

> read it
You don't know enough about music to understand how it would sound.

Silence hangs around you.

> u

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> w

Bathroom
The daemons keep this room nice and clean. You have to pay them for the service of course, but it's definitely worth it. As you might expect, there's a toilet, a sink and a bath. You considered getting a shower, but that seems a bit too modern for the general theme you've established. Oh yes, there's also a mechanical musician in the corner.

The exit is to the east.

> give music to musician
The mechanical musician doesn't seem interested.

> x musician
It's here to accompany you when you sing in the bathtub.

The musician peers at you, awaiting instructions.

Obviously I'm going to try making the music and musician work together somehow, so it's a shame I'm just getting all these default responses.

> show music to musician
You must supply a noun.

> put music in musician
He can't contain things.

> put music on musician
Putting things on the mechanical musician would achieve nothing.

> turn on musician
He's not something you can switch.

> x sheet
You don't know enough about music to understand how it would sound.

> listen to sheet of music
You hear nothing unexpected.

> e

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> d

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

Silence hangs around you.

> give music to eleanor
Eleanor doesn't seem interested.

Silence hangs around you.

> show music to eleanor
You must supply a noun.

Silence hangs around you.

> i
You are carrying:
a sheet of music
an empty jar
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

Silence hangs around you.

> get pyramid book
You normally work in the study, but right now you'll need the pictures for inspiration. You can write standing up.

Silence hangs around you.

> write in pyramid book
You don't really feel inspired enough.

Silence hangs around you.

> i
You are carrying:
a sheet of music
an empty jar
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

Silence hangs around you.

> x pyramid picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

Silence hangs around you.

> shake sphere
(the sphere of grave dust)
The grey specks of material form a storm inside the sphere. After a few moments, they settle down again.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

Silence hangs around you.

> g
(the sphere of grave dust)
The grey specks of material form a storm inside the sphere. After a few moments, they settle down again.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

You feel words swelling in your mind.

Silence hangs around you.

> write in pyramid book
You start to write, and forget your surroundings...

Antechamber
An entry room. Now that the thieves have fled, the only thing remaining is a strange machine that they brought with them. Sadly, they've made off with some minor treasures, but at least the peace has been restored.

A passage continues east.

> stop
You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

Silence hangs around you.

> i
You are carrying:
a sheet of music
an empty jar
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

Silence hangs around you.

> x jar
The jar is empty. If you close it near the silence, you should be able to recapture it.

Silence hangs around you.

> close jar
You close the jar and the silence lifts.

> x pyramid picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

> write in pyramid book
You start to write, and forget your surroundings...

Antechamber
An entry room. Now that the thieves have fled, the only thing remaining is a strange machine that they brought with them. Sadly, they've made off with some minor treasures, but at least the peace has been restored.

A passage continues east.

> e
You can't leave the interior.

> w

Entrance Passage
This leads to the exterior.

The passage goes from the west to the east, where you can hear suspicious noises.

> e
You enter. There is some screaming, and the room empties.

Antechamber
An entry room. Now that the thieves have fled, the only thing remaining is a strange machine that they brought with them. Sadly, they've made off with some minor treasures, but at least the peace has been restored.

A passage continues east.

> x machine
A bizarre contraption, a mass of grears and cables. There are a couple of hammers protuding from the front.

This explains how they managed to break in. They haven't bothered turning it off, and the hammers are beating against the floor.

> open jar
You can't see any such thing.

> i
You are carrying:
some bandages (being worn)
a removed shroud (being worn)
some gloves (being worn)
a power rod
a sorceror's box

> stop
You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> i
You are carrying:
a jar of silence
a sheet of music
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

I'm struggling now.

> hint
[hint -> hit]
What do you want to hit?

> help
To move around, use the commands GO NORTH, GO EAST, GO WEST, GO SOUTH, GO UP and GO DOWN, or simply N, E, W, S, U and D. To view your inventory use the command INVENTORY, or simply I. To perform an action, use a verb, such as JUMP. To perform an action with an object, use a verb, the object and the appropriate prepositions. Examples: TAKE FISH. OPEN BOX. TURN ON TV. SCREAM AT SHADOWS. WAVE AT PRINCE OF WALES. VANDALISE ARTWORK. READ NECRONOMICON. Note that you can abbreviate the object names slightly, but the adjectives are used to make distinctions between objects with similar names. To perform an action involving direct and indirect objects, both objects are required in the appropriate order with a preposition linking them. Examples: GIVE BOX TO MAN. THROW STONE AT PLATE. EAT SPAGHETTI WITH FORK. CUT RUG WITH SWORD. BEHEAD TRAITOR WITH RAZOR-SHARP POSTCARD. BURN TAPESTRY WITH BLOWTORCH. Another useful command is UNDO, which will move the game back one turn, like a pre-release time warp device. The OOPS command has a similar effect, replacing an incorrect word in a previous command with the word following it. Examples: PICK UP KINFE. OOPS KNIFE. FIRE BAZOKA. OOPS BAZOOKA. QUIT allows to to leave the game, SAVE and RESTORE can be used to save and restore games, and RESTART will allow you to start over.

Thanks to Graham Nelson (and others) for Inform 7.

Thanks to Conrad Cook, Jeff Pankratz and Leandro Ribeiro for testing.

Please send any feedback to doubleprism@hotmail.com. This game may be freely distributed, but not sold or otherwise used for profit without the written permission of the author.

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> e

Library
You imagined that you could display your own work here, but that hasn't quite worked out. As is, there's a collection of your inspirations, to which you frequently return.

The volumes are arranged on the shelves in no particular order. You have considered establishing some sort of system, but by now, you remember where they all are anyway.

An exit leads west.

On the wooden shelves is a fungus bowl.

> x fungus
You're observing its rate of growth. It grows underground, but it seems to be thriving quite well in the bowl of "material" you've provided. Indeed, it's quite pungent.

> smell fungus
You inhale the fumes. Careful now. It's almost overpowering.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

> w

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

Oh I see, the ting noises for the pickaxe noises. I got this from the walkthrough. I do get it now, but I wouldn't have come up with it myself.

> play with toy
You lift one sphere, and release it to strike another; a series of symmetrical movements results, accompanying by "ting" noises.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

You feel words swelling in your mind.

> x mine picture
You can see a darkened set of caves, six chambers filled with darkened figures, patches of orange material on the ground, sparks from pickaxes. You're confused by the perspective; How could you be in a position to see everything at once? Eleanor said that it's just suspension of disbelief.

As you look at it, you wish you could imagine the sounds and smells of the mine more clearly.

> write in goblin book
You start to write, and forget your surroundings...

Now, the current problem was the matter of the interactions with the goblins.

"Stairs above you lead back to the surface", so why can't I go up?

Stairway to Surface
Stairs above you lead back to the surface. Stairs below you lead nowhere, having collapsed into a pit. Around you, is a small cave.

Aside from the stairs, the only exit (to the west) is blocked with rubble, but you can hear the sounds of pickaxes beyond.

The goblins must be beyond the rubble...

> u
You can't go that way.

The goblins could clear the rubble. How can you attract their attention?

> i
You are carrying:
a chameleon skull

> x skull
These are prized among the goblins, and it should prove to be a perfect greeting. You're glad you didn't have to extract it yourself.

> d
You can't go that way.

> x pit
The pit looks ominous. You're trying to stay as far away from it as possible.

> shout
I didn't understand that sentence.

> talk to goblins
You can't see any such thing.

> listen to goblins
You can't see any such thing.

> x rubble
You're not sure if the opening is a natural crevice, or a purposefully built doorway that's suffered a collapse. Regardless, there's a heap of stone chunks blocking your path.

You notice that some of the rubble is quite close to the pit.

> push rubble into pit
You can't see any such thing.

> push rubble
You try shoving the rubble through the opening, but it's too heavy.

> x rubble
You're not sure if the opening is a natural crevice, or a purposefully built doorway that's suffered a collapse. Regardless, there's a heap of stone chunks blocking your path.

You notice that some of the rubble is quite close to the pit.

> roll rubble
That's not a verb I recognise.

> x chunks
You're not sure if the opening is a natural crevice, or a purposefully built doorway that's suffered a collapse. Regardless, there's a heap of stone chunks blocking your path.

You notice that some of the rubble is quite close to the pit.

> x pit
The pit looks ominous. You're trying to stay as far away from it as possible.

> move rubble
You try shoving the rubble through the opening, but it's too heavy.

> pull rubble
You try clearing away the rubble, but there's no safe way of doing it.

> x crevice
You can't see any such thing.

> u
You can't go that way.

> x cave
You can't see any such thing.

> shout
I didn't understand that sentence.

> scream
That's not a verb I recognise.

> jump
You jump on the spot, fruitlessly.

> jump on rubble
I only understood you as far as wanting to jump.

> look in pit
You find nothing of interest.

> sing
You have no lyrics.

> x skull
These are prized among the goblins, and it should prove to be a perfect greeting. You're glad you didn't have to extract it yourself.

> wobble rubble
That's not a verb I recognise.

> x rubble close to pit
I only understood you as far as wanting to examine the rubble.

> collapse rubble
That's not a verb I recognise.

> e
You can't go that way.

> i
You are carrying:
a chameleon skull

> get rubble
The chunks are heavy, but you manage to pull one off the ground.

> drop chunk in pit
You drop the rock down the pit. After a second or so, there is a thundering crash that shakes the area. You barely manage to stay standing.

When the echoes fade, there is dead silence. Then you hear the pickaxes start again. In a matter of minutes, the rubble has been cleared away, and you are surrounded by glaring goblins.

> talk to goblins
You only know a few goblin words, and you generally can't understand them when they talk.

I am showing them the skull, but "show" doesn't work, only "give" does.

> show skull to goblins
You must supply a noun.

> show goblins skull
You must supply a noun.

> give skull to goblins
When they see the skull, the goblins draw back. You manage to indicate with the few words you know that you intend to visit their chief. After a brief discussion, they return to their business.

> w

Cavern
This is a wide area, filled with goblins, all hard at work with their mining. You're glad your gear includes a helmet.

A crevice leads east. A wide passage leads north.

> x goblins
They're concentrating on their work. They look more determined than tired. As far as you can tell, they're digging out a vein of iron ore.

> i
You are carrying:
a chameleon skull

> n

Sleeping Quarters
While there aren't actually any goblins sleeping here right now, you can recognise the function of the place from the crude beds scattered around.

A passage to the west slopes down slightly, while a passage to the east slopes up slightly. There is another passage leading back south.

You can see a loose blanket here.

> x blanket
A blanket roaming free.

> get it
Taken.

> look under bed
You can't see any such thing.

> look under beds
You find nothing of interest.

> w

So these incomplete bits are deliberate?

Grey Passage
This passage leads further down, incomplete .

> e

Sleeping Quarters
While there aren't actually any goblins sleeping here right now, you can recognise the function of the place from the crude beds scattered around.

A passage to the west slopes down slightly, while a passage to the east slopes up slightly. There is another passage leading back south.

> e

Equipment Room
Whatever you've heard about goblins, this room is very neatly organised. Everything is locked in labelled boxes. Except for a single ladder, which is presumably because of its great height.

A passage leads north. The sleeping quarters are back to the west.

> n

Cave Passage
You can hear a cacophony of sound drifting in from the north.

> n

Cave Chamber
The chamber is filled with shrieking goblins, waving their hands in the air aimlessly. You can just about hear some drumming from the north end, and just about see a goblin wearing brightly coloured clothes.

Next to you, there stands some type of idol, and behind you, a passage leads south.

> listen
You can make the sound of drumming. If you could hear it more clearly, you could do something about it.

You can feel a wind blowing in from somewhere.

> x goblin
You can't see any such thing.

> x idol
As you might expect, it's carved from a huge piece of stone. It's a bit difficult to see what it's meant to represent when you're standing down here.

> climb idol
There aren't enough handholds on the idol, although it does look as though it's flat on top.

> s

Cave Passage
You can hear a cacophony of sound drifting in from the north.

> s

Equipment Room
Whatever you've heard about goblins, this room is very neatly organised. Everything is locked in labelled boxes. Except for a single ladder, which is presumably because of its great height.

A passage leads north. The sleeping quarters are back to the west.

> get ladder
It's light enough to carry, but it takes you a few moments to work out how best to hold it as you walk.

(If you want to lean the ladder against something, try LEAN LADDER ON.)

> n

Cave Passage
You can hear a cacophony of sound drifting in from the north.

> n

Cave Chamber
The chamber is filled with shrieking goblins, waving their hands in the air aimlessly. You can just about hear some drumming from the north end, and just about see a goblin wearing brightly coloured clothes.

Next to you, there stands some type of idol, and behind you, a passage leads south.

> lean ladder on idol
You carefully wedge the top end of the ladder underneath the idol's brow.

Pah, you have to climb the ladder but you can't "climb ladder".

> climb ladder
I don't think much is to be achieved by that.

> climb idol
You scramble up the ladder, and pull yourself onto the top of the idol.

Top of the Idol
Up here, you've got a much better view. You can see a goblin dressed in what looks like a monk's robe, but made from a dazzling yellow cloth. He is beating a pair of drums.

You can tell where the wind's coming from now. It seems to be blowing from a large crack in the wall.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> x goblin
You can make out some drums, some yellow cloth, and a goblin. You're going to have to get closer to see anything more.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> x blanket
A blanket roaming free.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> put blanket in crack
That can't contain things.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> x crack
You can't reach it from here. You're not sure there's anything interesting inside it anyway.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> d

Cave Chamber
The chamber is filled with shrieking goblins, waving their hands in the air aimlessly. You can just about hear some drumming from the north end, and just about see a goblin wearing brightly coloured clothes.

Next to you, there stands some type of idol with a ladder leaning against it, and behind you, a passage leads south.

> get ladder
You carefully lower it to the ground.

> lean ladder on wall
[wall -> all]
You can't use multiple objects with that verb.

> lean ladder on idol
You carefully wedge the top end of the ladder underneath the idol's brow.

> u
You scramble up the ladder, and pull yourself onto the top of the idol.

Top of the Idol
Up here, you've got a much better view. You can see a goblin dressed in what looks like a monk's robe, but made from a dazzling yellow cloth. He is beating a pair of drums.

You can tell where the wind's coming from now. It seems to be blowing from a large crack in the wall.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> wave blanket
You look ridiculous waving the loose blanket.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> drop blanket
The blanket flies away into the midst of the goblins, who irritably throw it back towards the base of the idol
>
d

Cave Chamber
The chamber is filled with shrieking goblins, waving their hands in the air aimlessly. You can just about hear some drumming from the north end, and just about see a goblin wearing brightly coloured clothes.

Next to you, there stands some type of idol with a ladder leaning against it, and behind you, a passage leads south.

You can see a loose blanket here.

> get blanket
Taken.

> i
You are carrying:
a loose blanket
a chameleon skull

> n
You can't go that way.

> u
You scramble up the ladder, and pull yourself onto the top of the idol.

Top of the Idol
Up here, you've got a much better view. You can see a goblin dressed in what looks like a monk's robe, but made from a dazzling yellow cloth. He is beating a pair of drums.

You can tell where the wind's coming from now. It seems to be blowing from a large crack in the wall.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> throw skull at goblin
Futile.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> x crack
You can't reach it from here. You're not sure there's anything interesting inside it anyway.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> d

Cave Chamber
The chamber is filled with shrieking goblins, waving their hands in the air aimlessly. You can just about hear some drumming from the north end, and just about see a goblin wearing brightly coloured clothes.

Next to you, there stands some type of idol with a ladder leaning against it, and behind you, a passage leads south.

> s

Cave Passage
You can hear a cacophony of sound drifting in from the north.

> w
You can't go that way.

> s

Equipment Room
Whatever you've heard about goblins, this room is very neatly organised. Everything is locked in labelled boxes.

A passage leads north. The sleeping quarters are back to the west.

> w

Sleeping Quarters
While there aren't actually any goblins sleeping here right now, you can recognise the function of the place from the crude beds scattered around.

A passage to the west slopes down slightly, while a passage to the east slopes up slightly. There is another passage leading back south.

> w

Grey Passage
This passage leads further down, incomplete .

> s
You can't go that way.

> e

Sleeping Quarters
While there aren't actually any goblins sleeping here right now, you can recognise the function of the place from the crude beds scattered around.

A passage to the west slopes down slightly, while a passage to the east slopes up slightly. There is another passage leading back south.

> s

Cavern
This is a wide area, filled with goblins, all hard at work with their mining. You're glad your gear includes a helmet.

A crevice leads east. A wide passage leads north.

> e

Stairway to Surface
Stairs above you lead back to the surface. Stairs below you lead nowhere, having collapsed into a pit. Around you, is a small cave.

There is an exit to the west.

> u
You can't go that way.

> w

Cavern
This is a wide area, filled with goblins, all hard at work with their mining. You're glad your gear includes a helmet.

A crevice leads east. A wide passage leads north.

> n

Sleeping Quarters
While there aren't actually any goblins sleeping here right now, you can recognise the function of the place from the crude beds scattered around.

A passage to the west slopes down slightly, while a passage to the east slopes up slightly. There is another passage leading back south.

> e

Equipment Room
Whatever you've heard about goblins, this room is very neatly organised. Everything is locked in labelled boxes.

A passage leads north. The sleeping quarters are back to the west.

> n

Cave Passage
You can hear a cacophony of sound drifting in from the north.

> s

Equipment Room
Whatever you've heard about goblins, this room is very neatly organised. Everything is locked in labelled boxes.

A passage leads north. The sleeping quarters are back to the west.

> x boxes
You can't see any such thing.

> n

Cave Passage
You can hear a cacophony of sound drifting in from the north.

> listen
You hear nothing unexpected.

> n

Cave Chamber
The chamber is filled with shrieking goblins, waving their hands in the air aimlessly. You can just about hear some drumming from the north end, and just about see a goblin wearing brightly coloured clothes.

Next to you, there stands some type of idol with a ladder leaning against it, and behind you, a passage leads south.

> listen
You can make the sound of drumming. If you could hear it more clearly, you could do something about it.

> u
You scramble up the ladder, and pull yourself onto the top of the idol.

Top of the Idol
Up here, you've got a much better view. You can see a goblin dressed in what looks like a monk's robe, but made from a dazzling yellow cloth. He is beating a pair of drums.

You can tell where the wind's coming from now. It seems to be blowing from a large crack in the wall.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> listen
You can make the sound of drumming. If you could hear it more clearly, you could do something about it.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> i
You are carrying:
a loose blanket
a chameleon skull

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> listen to skull
You can make the sound of drumming. If you could hear it more clearly, you could do something about it.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> wear blanket
You can't wear that!

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> listen to blanket
You can make the sound of drumming. If you could hear it more clearly, you could do something about it.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> throw blanket at crack
Futile.

You're having trouble keeping hold of the blanket, it's catching the wind. Now and then, you're actually lifted into the air, and you're having to crouch down to avoid being carried off.

> jump
As you leap, you feel the blanket filling. Grabbing it with both hands, you manage to float down to the other side of the chamber.

Drummer's Circle
Here, you stand in a small circle surrounding the goblin drummer, surrounded itself by an impassable throng of goblins. Neither the drummer nor his audience are paying you any attention.

The drumming can be clearly heard when you're this close.

> listen
You can hear each and every beat. Got it.

You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

You find yourself in the process of pulling a page from the book.

> i
You are carrying:
some music sheets
a jar of silence
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> x sheets
You hold 2 sheets of music. You can't really understand any of them.

> x sky picture
A series of islands inexplicably float in the sky. The land below is not visible. You didn't notice it the first time you looked at this picture, but there's a large shadow being cast upon one of the floating rocks. It seems that there's something BIG up higher.

You notice flowers growing on the undersides of the rocks, and electricity crackling through the skies above.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

> x pyramid picture
There are a number of burning torches depicted on the interior walls which puzzles you. Wouldn't they burn down after a time? And who needs to see in a burial chamber?

You get a strong feeling of absolute calm from the image. The torches don't look as if they're flickering. You imagine that the insides of the pyramid are as quiet as the grave.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

As a new inspiration rises, the previous fades.

> shake sphere
(the sphere of grave dust)
The grey specks of material form a storm inside the sphere. After a few moments, they settle down again.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

> g
(the sphere of grave dust)
The grey specks of material form a storm inside the sphere. After a few moments, they settle down again.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

You feel words swelling in your mind.

> write in pyramid book
You start to write, and forget your surroundings...

Antechamber
An entry room. Now that the thieves have fled, the only thing remaining is a strange machine that they brought with them. Sadly, they've made off with some minor treasures, but at least the peace has been restored.

A passage continues east.

> e
You can't leave the interior.

> x machine
A bizarre contraption, a mass of grears and cables. There are a couple of hammers protuding from the front.

This explains how they managed to break in. They haven't bothered turning it off, and the hammers are beating against the floor.

> listen
You listen to the beats of the hammers. Got it.

You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

You find yourself in the process of pulling a page from the book.

> x music
You hold 3 sheets of music. You can't really understand any of them.

> save
Ok.

> x sky picture
A series of islands inexplicably float in the sky. The land below is not visible. You didn't notice it the first time you looked at this picture, but there's a large shadow being cast upon one of the floating rocks. It seems that there's something BIG up higher.

You notice flowers growing on the undersides of the rocks, and electricity crackling through the skies above.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

> x battery
A black cube. You can feel that it's vibrating with energy. There's a little lightning symbol on one side.

> g
A black cube. You can feel that it's vibrating with energy. There's a little lightning symbol on one side.

> lick it
You're not doing that, although one of your protagionists might consider it.

> shake it
Nothing happens.

> vibrate it
That's not a verb I recognise.

> w

Dining Room
With some difficulty, you managed to acquire a table that was precisely the correct size. Eleanor and you can quite comfortably talk across it between mouthfuls. You've filled the walls with portraits of various dignitaries in preparation for receiving guests. Under which circumstances you'll have to bring up the other table currently residing in the cellar.

Exits lead west and east.

> x table
A testament to determination and resourcefulness. It has chairs at each end..

> x portraits
The third Earl of Tippareth, the Marquis of the Fey, and others who lack the same significance.

> i
You are carrying:
some music sheets
a jar of silence
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> x tippareth
You can't see any such thing.

> x fey
You can't see any such thing.

> x chairs
A couple of ordinary wooden chairs.

> look under table
You find nothing of interest.

> look on table
You can't see any such thing.

I'm doing this from the walkthrough, and I have absolutely no idea where these flowers that I'm now smelling are supposed to be.

> smell flowers
You feel revitalised.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

> x flowers
It's filled with cloudblossoms. They're picked using very tall ladders, and they have a wonderful scent.

> i
You are carrying:
some music sheets
a jar of silence
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> l
Dining Room
With some difficulty, you managed to acquire a table that was precisely the correct size. Eleanor and you can quite comfortably talk across it between mouthfuls. You've filled the walls with portraits of various dignitaries in preparation for receiving guests. Under which circumstances you'll have to bring up the other table currently residing in the cellar.

Exits lead west and east.

> e

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> x battery
A black cube. You can feel that it's vibrating with energy. There's a little lightning symbol on one side.

> x sky picture
A series of islands inexplicably float in the sky. The land below is not visible. You didn't notice it the first time you looked at this picture, but there's a large shadow being cast upon one of the floating rocks. It seems that there's something BIG up higher.

You notice flowers growing on the undersides of the rocks, and electricity crackling through the skies above.

> write in sky book
You don't really feel inspired enough.

> w

Dining Room
With some difficulty, you managed to acquire a table that was precisely the correct size. Eleanor and you can quite comfortably talk across it between mouthfuls. You've filled the walls with portraits of various dignitaries in preparation for receiving guests. Under which circumstances you'll have to bring up the other table currently residing in the cellar.

Exits lead west and east.

> smell flowers
You feel revitalised.

You feel your inspiration grow stronger.

You feel words swelling in your mind.

> e

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> write in sky book
You start to write, and forget your surroundings...

What would it be like to live above the land?

Your Rock
Your rock is a simple one, without luxury. Your stuff lies around you.

There is a rock above you, and a rock below you. You should be able to reach either with minimum effort.

> save
Ok.

"unusually thing clouds"?

> x stuff
A few things to make your rock more attractive. Brightly coloured pebbles, feathers and some bits from some unusually thing clouds.

> d

Airship Rock
That's unusual. There's an airship crashed here. There must have been some especially thick cloud cover recently. And you suppose that this particular rock is pretty large.

You can make out the crew milling around the wreck.

You can see your rock above.

> x crew
A couple of them are actually trying to fix their property, but the majority seem to have been struck down by despair.

> talk to crew
They draw back as you approach, but after a moment one steps forward.

You don't have a language in common, but with improvised sign language he manages to convey that he'd very much appreciate your help in fixing their ship. You respond by requesting ownership of their cannon, which would look very splendid on your rock. They agree, and ask you to find a power source, and some buoyant material.

> i
You are carrying nothing.

> u

Your Rock
Your rock is a simple one, without luxury. Your stuff lies around you.

There is a rock above you, and a rock below you. You should be able to reach either with minimum effort.

> u

Lightning Rock
This rock has a lightning rod set into to it. As you might expect, the rod has a halo of electricity continously washing around it. Fortunately, ielectricity isn't too dangerous to you, you can touch it safely.

You can see your rock below you, a rock to the north, a rock to the east, and a rock to the west.

> d

Your Rock
Your rock is a simple one, without luxury. Your stuff lies around you.

There is a rock above you, and a rock below you. You should be able to reach either with minimum effort.

> x stuff
A few things to make your rock more attractive. Brightly coloured pebbles, feathers and some bits from some unusually thing clouds.

> get all
There are none at all available!

> get pebbles
No, you probably don't need any of it for any functional purpose.

> x pebbles
A few things to make your rock more attractive. Brightly coloured pebbles, feathers and some bits from some unusually thing clouds.

> u

Lightning Rock
This rock has a lightning rod set into to it. As you might expect, the rod has a halo of electricity continously washing around it. Fortunately, ielectricity isn't too dangerous to you, you can touch it safely.

You can see your rock below you, a rock to the north, a rock to the east, and a rock to the west.

> x rod
You're tempted to lick it, for some reason.

> save
Ok.

> lick rod
...No, the consequences last time were quite severe.

> touch rod
You feel nothing unexpected.

> w

Rainbow Rock
A rainbow ends here, coming in from the west.

There look to be rocks to leap onto to the east and to the west.

> w

Grey Rainbow
The rainbow continue here and incomplete .

> e

Rainbow Rock
A rainbow ends here, coming in from the west.

There look to be rocks to leap onto to the east and to the west.

> e

Lightning Rock
This rock has a lightning rod set into to it. As you might expect, the rod has a halo of electricity continously washing around it. Fortunately, ielectricity isn't too dangerous to you, you can touch it safely.

You can see your rock below you, a rock to the north, a rock to the east, and a rock to the west.

> e

Cloud Rock
Differently coloured clouds float around you. This place seems to be some type of attractor for them.

The Lightning Rock is back to the west.

> x clouds
Which do you mean, the blue clouds, the yellow clouds, the pink clouds or the green clouds?

> blue
They're strangely cold.

> x yellow
They're... sulphur?

> x pink
They're extremely thick. And oddly oily.

> x green
They're minty.

> stand on green clouds
They're not something you can stand on.

> eat green cloud
I only understood you as far as wanting to eat the green clouds.

> w

Lightning Rock
This rock has a lightning rod set into to it. As you might expect, the rod has a halo of electricity continously washing around it. Fortunately, ielectricity isn't too dangerous to you, you can touch it safely.

You can see your rock below you, a rock to the north, a rock to the east, and a rock to the west.

> n

Dragon Rock
Here, there is a dragon. A silver one. You feel unnerved by its presence. And what's it doing here? And he's got a hoard of treasure.

Hmm, that music box looks important...

The Lightning Rock is back to the south.

> x dragon
It looks at you languidly.

> x box
Funnily enough, it has a dragon design on the top. Wait, how do you know it's a music box?

> open music box
As you open it, it starts playing a tune. The tune makes you want to dance... Got it.

You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

You find yourself in the process of pulling a page from the book.

Eleanor waves in the direction of her new picture.

"Now, put him in there."

> save
Ok.

> i
You are carrying:
some music sheets
a jar of silence
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> x picture
Which do you mean, the sphere picture, the dark mine picture, the forest picture, the pyramid picture or the sky islands picture?

> x new picture
[new -> nw]
I only understood you as far as wanting to examine northwest.

> x sphere picture
It doesn't look completely finished, but you can quite clearly see what it's meant to depict; A golden, translucent sphere, surrounded by darkness.

You feel inspiration stirring in your mind. But you need more. You need to find further stimulation for your senses.

> u

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> w

Bathroom
The daemons keep this room nice and clean. You have to pay them for the service of course, but it's definitely worth it. As you might expect, there's a toilet, a sink and a bath. You considered getting a shower, but that seems a bit too modern for the general theme you've established. Oh yes, there's also a mechanical musician in the corner.

The exit is to the east.

> give sheets to musician
The musician examines the sheets, and starts playing.

The music sends lines of fire through your thoughts. You know the composer, and you can write him into your passages.

> d
You can't go that way.

> e

Landing
This is a room to pass through. Thus, you've made sure to fill it with things that you need to remember, in the hope that they'll catch your eye at the right time. At the moment, you have a pair of frames hanging on the wall, one containing a diagram, and the other some pressed leaves.

Stairs lead down into the gallery. Other exits lead north, east and west.

> d

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

> write in notepad
You start the story...

Looking into the Sphere
The culprit of the crimes is trapped in front of you, in the sphere that Eleanor painted. He glares at you, but you sense that he is powerless to do anything.

> save
Ok.

> x culprit
You can see him clearly now. He's dressed in the manner of a bard, although he doesn't seem to have any type of instrument. Which is probably a good thing.

> punch culprit
Violence isn't the answer to this one.

> i
You are carrying:
some music sheets
a jar of silence
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> talk to culprit
He suddenly springs into speech

"What I did, I did for art and for the audience.You're quite content to just let yourself and your talent rot, never doing anything. I meant to force you to move your mind and actually finish some of your stories."

"I waited for a while, but I've only got so much patience. I decided you'd never shift, thus, through that back door, into the room with all the paintings, and doh-ray-me, magic music."

"And now I'm stuck in here. I suppose you think you're very clever."

He lapses into silence, and resumes glaring at you.

> i
You are carrying:
some music sheets
a jar of silence
a sphere of grave dust
a battery
an executive toy
a notepad
a quill pen
a seashell

> talk to culprit
He doesn't appear to have anything else to say.

> out
But you aren't in anything at the moment.

> stop
You raise your head.

As you return, you feel a great fatigue steal over you. A long sleep will help with that. You also need to return Eleanor to bed, you won't be properly rested without her.

And you'll need all your energy to work on your stories tomorrow. Perhaps you'll let him help with the proof-reading, if he promises to behave.

*** Zzzz... ***

Would you like to RESTART, RESTORE a saved game, QUIT or UNDO the last command?
>
restore
Ok.

> l
Your Rock
Your rock is a simple one, without luxury. Your stuff lies around you.

There is a rock above you, and a rock below you. You should be able to reach either with minimum effort.

> d

Airship Rock
That's unusual. There's an airship crashed here. There must have been some especially thick cloud cover recently. And you suppose that this particular rock is pretty large.

You can make out the crew milling around the wreck.

You can see your rock above.

> talk to crew
They draw back as you approach, but after a moment one steps forward.

You don't have a language in common, but with improvised sign language he manages to convey that he'd very much appreciate your help in fixing their ship. You respond by requesting ownership of their cannon, which would look very splendid on your rock. They agree, and ask you to find a power source, and some buoyant material.

> u

Your Rock
Your rock is a simple one, without luxury. Your stuff lies around you.

There is a rock above you, and a rock below you. You should be able to reach either with minimum effort.

> w
You can't go that way.

> u

Lightning Rock
This rock has a lightning rod set into to it. As you might expect, the rod has a halo of electricity continously washing around it. Fortunately, ielectricity isn't too dangerous to you, you can touch it safely.

You can see your rock below you, a rock to the north, a rock to the east, and a rock to the west.

> x rainbow
You can't see any such thing.

> w

Rainbow Rock
A rainbow ends here, coming in from the west.

There look to be rocks to leap onto to the east and to the west.

> x rainbow
It won't last too long, but it's nice enough at present.

You find a pot of gold!

> get gold
You already have that.

> x it
You can use it as a decoration!

> e

Lightning Rock
This rock has a lightning rod set into to it. As you might expect, the rod has a halo of electricity continously washing around it. Fortunately, ielectricity isn't too dangerous to you, you can touch it safely.

You can see your rock below you, a rock to the north, a rock to the east, and a rock to the west.

> e

Cloud Rock
Differently coloured clouds float around you. This place seems to be some type of attractor for them.

The Lightning Rock is back to the west.

> get pink clouds
You pull some segments free.

> x pink
(the pink cloud segments)
They're oily, but it's easy enough to keep hold of them.

> w

Lightning Rock
This rock has a lightning rod set into to it. As you might expect, the rod has a halo of electricity continously washing around it. Fortunately, ielectricity isn't too dangerous to you, you can touch it safely.

You can see your rock below you, a rock to the north, a rock to the east, and a rock to the west.

> get rod
You manage to wrench it free. Your hands feel tingly.

> d

Your Rock
Your rock is a simple one, without luxury. Your stuff lies around you.

There is a rock above you, and a rock below you. You should be able to reach either with minimum effort.

> d

Airship Rock
That's unusual. There's an airship crashed here. There must have been some especially thick cloud cover recently. And you suppose that this particular rock is pretty large.

You can make out the crew milling around the wreck.

You can see your rock above.

> talk to crew
Communicating with them is an effort. You'd rather focus on helping them.

> give segments to crew
You hand over the segments.

> give rod to crew
You hand over the lightning rod.

Cheered, the crew fall to serious work, and in an hour or so, the ship manages to lift off. They wave at you happily as they continue their journey. And they've courteously left the cannon behind as promised.

> get cannon
Taken.

> u

Your Rock
Your rock is a simple one, without luxury. Your stuff lies around you.

There is a rock above you, and a rock below you. You should be able to reach either with minimum effort.

> u

Lightning Rock
There's still some of the electric halo hanging around hopefully, but the majority of it has vanished .

You can see your rock below you, a rock to the north, a rock to the east, and a rock to the west.

> n

Dragon Rock
Here, there is a dragon. A silver one. You feel unnerved by its presence. And what's it doing here? And he's got a hoard of treasure.

Hmm, that music box looks important...

The Lightning Rock is back to the south.

> i
You are carrying:
a cannon
a pot of gold

> x pot
You can use it as a decoration!

> fire pot
The dragon's head is dragged around as if on a wire. It leaps from the rock, and dives after the plummeting gold.

You feel a pang of remorse at the loss of the gold, but hey, relinquishing shiny things is a sign of maturity.

Before, I opened the music box without first getting rid of the dragon. Was I supposed to be allowed to do that?

> open box
As you open it, it starts playing a tune. The tune makes you want to dance... Got it.

You raise your head, and...

Gallery
Eleanor's works are arrayed here. She spent some time making sure they were all hanging at the same level, and the effect is striking. You haven't been able to do the same for the landing.

Beneath each picture is a pedestal, and each pedestal bears one of your books. Their position is very significant, and you've done all you can to make sure that each pedestal is immovable. Although the books can still be lifted off, that's necessary.

Eleanor's art cupboard lurks in a corner. A futon sits nearby.

Stairs lead upwards. The front doors stand to the south. Other doors lead west and east.

Eleanor is resting on the futon.

You find yourself in the process of pulling a page from the book.

Eleanor waves in the direction of her new picture.

"Now, put him in there."

> about
That's not a verb I recognise.

> credits
That's not a verb I recognise.

> hint
[hint -> hit]
What do you want to hit?

Things seemed poorly clued. Maybe having these small separate worlds means the game doesn't have enough space to give them each good internal logic.

I liked the start best, exploring the house before doing any of the picture worlds. The house was interestingly surreal, but then the picture worlds were a generic fantasy goblin mine, a generic forest, a mummy's pyramid, and some floating rocks with a dragon. Also, going into pictures has been done way too much.

> help
To move around, use the commands GO NORTH, GO EAST, GO WEST, GO SOUTH, GO UP and GO DOWN, or simply N, E, W, S, U and D. To view your inventory use the command INVENTORY, or simply I. To perform an action, use a verb, such as JUMP. To perform an action with an object, use a verb, the object and the appropriate prepositions. Examples: TAKE FISH. OPEN BOX. TURN ON TV. SCREAM AT SHADOWS. WAVE AT PRINCE OF WALES. VANDALISE ARTWORK. READ NECRONOMICON. Note that you can abbreviate the object names slightly, but the adjectives are used to make distinctions between objects with similar names. To perform an action involving direct and indirect objects, both objects are required in the appropriate order with a preposition linking them. Examples: GIVE BOX TO MAN. THROW STONE AT PLATE. EAT SPAGHETTI WITH FORK. CUT RUG WITH SWORD. BEHEAD TRAITOR WITH RAZOR-SHARP POSTCARD. BURN TAPESTRY WITH BLOWTORCH. Another useful command is UNDO, which will move the game back one turn, like a pre-release time warp device. The OOPS command has a similar effect, replacing an incorrect word in a previous command with the word following it. Examples: PICK UP KINFE. OOPS KNIFE. FIRE BAZOKA. OOPS BAZOOKA. QUIT allows to to leave the game, SAVE and RESTORE can be used to save and restore games, and RESTART will allow you to start over.

Thanks to Graham Nelson (and others) for Inform 7.

Thanks to Conrad Cook, Jeff Pankratz and Leandro Ribeiro for testing.

Please send any feedback to doubleprism@hotmail.com. This game may be freely distributed, but not sold or otherwise used for profit without the written permission of the author.

> q
Are you sure you want to quit? y